Welcome!

5/2/16

My Life on the Wall for the Crawl


Spring Art Crawl happened last week -- thought I'd put up a post about it!

I know, I know - I never even said the Art Crawl was coming up.... That's how busy I've been.... So busy that I didn't even have time to make chickens for the wall! But at least I am here today giving a sample of what I did get up! I had been working on other projects - including digging into my life for moments that hold meaning to help in some memoir writing. So for the Crawl, I decided to shorten some of these moments into tiny haiku* form and add illustrations.* Which actually ended up being a great help! In the process of whittling down words and finding a snapshot image for each in my mind, I was able to pull more clarity in regards to what specific importance the moments held. (And it was just really fucking fun!)

I had a total of 24 up for the Art Crawl and plan to continue the series. Here are a few:



 Circumstances of My Birth

Dad held the lighter
that lit my mom's cigarettes
while she birthed me out.
(1970)

Heart Throb Cures

My love and Water
Andy Gibb forty five plays -
cures my chicken pox.
(1977)

Confirmation Day

Menstrual blood stain
on confirmation outfit
confirms God's not real.
(1984)

Peeper

Neighbors excuse for
peeping in my front window:
"I thought we were friends."
(1996)

Sorry, Dad.

Dad can be so sweet
Carried TV up three flights!
OOOPS. There's my dildo.

(2003)


*notes on the haiku:
The haiku are not traditional Japanese haiku but simply follow the 5,7,5 syllable count. Some would call them senryu –or even spam-ku. Maybe we can call them “Cam”ku.

*notes on the illustrations:
I drew my illustrations with my left hand - I am right-handed. For much of my life I felt the need to be perfect (as defined by others) in all that I did. I, myself, tended to find perfection in imperfection, preferring pre-school art shows to art museums. I decided I would have more success meeting my own standards if I were to use my “weaker” hand. And I did!


1 comment:

Claire said...

awesome! sorry dad is my favorite :)