Welcome!

2/18/13

I May Be a Little Obsessed With Charmin

Because I am apparently obsessed with toilet paper, I have been spending some time at Charmin's website. I have this to say about what I learned:

Starting in 1964, for 20 years and 500 commercials, Mr. Whipple said, "Please, don't squeeze the Charmin!"  No wonder that's the only other Charmin campaign I could recall.  (By the way, his real name was Dick Wilson - he died in 2007.)
  
According to the site, in 1978 he was named the third-best-known American - just behind former president Nixon and Billy Graham. Which would make Billy Graham the second most recognizable American in 1978.  No way. What about Darth Vader? Wait, I guess he wasn't American. What about Farrah Fawcett?  Wait, it was 1978 and she probably didn't count since she's a woman.  What about Fat Albert? Oh yeah... cartoon. Maybe it really was Billy Graham.  Ew.  No wonder third grade sucked for me.
Also, just like Vanna White, Charmin made it's way into the Guinness Book of World Records. They hold the record for Largest Toilet Roll: 4,000 pounds, 8.5 feet tall, over 1,000,000 square feet of Charmin toilet paper. I am going to email Charmin and ask them what they did with it.
I just sent this to Charmin:
I was looking through your website and have a random question.
Could someone tell me what became of the Guinness Book of World
Record's largest toilet roll?
Thank you for your time, Cami
Charmin sent me this:
Thanks for submitting your email!

We appreciate the time you’ve taken to get in touch with us 
– a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for visiting our site!

But I already know the answer because I just looked it up on the Guinness World Record site. They say it was going to go to the Ripley's Believe It or Not! museum.  I guess this has now become a test of the Charmin customer service department's speed and knowledge. I'll keep you posted!

 

No comments: